Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ranked Game #5

Hey guys, I played my fifth ranked game earlier today, using Urgot. It was a good victory and an interesting game, a real back and forth battle. We also had quite a character on our team, a Blitzcrank with the new Piltover Customs skin (very jealous). He made a lot of silly comments kept the mood light at the beginning of the game. There was also quite a bit of trash talking between the teams, which was good motivation. In this game I duo queued with my friend 534N7R0N again.

I was captain again, which is getting a little ridiculous at this point, and I had first ban. Here's how the bans went:

Rammus, Amumu, Shen, Malphite


And the draft:

Them: Alistar
Us: Urgot, Kennen
Them: Dr. Mundo, Nidalee
Us: Kog'Maw, Blitzcrank
Them: Katarina, Ashe
Us: Irelia (my friend)

As he did in my previous game with him, my friend decided to jungle with Irelia. They didn't have a clear jungler, so we had to decide who would 1 v 2 top and who would mid. My friend pointed out that Urgot would probably do better in the 1 v 2 situation out of our three potential solo laners, so I took top. We left mid to Kog'Maw kind of arbitrarily, but it didn't really matter to much at that point. That meant that Kennen and Blitzcrank would take bottom. The enemy team composition was a little worrying, as they had three healers, one of them being an AOE healer (Alistar), so Irelia vowed to get Executioner's Calling at some point to cut that down. When we went into the loading screen, it was confirmed that they did not have a jungler.

Early Game
This portion of the game was mostly quiet, at least for me. I drew Alistar and Ashe in my lane, so with the former's heal and latter's Volley harass, I was backed up to my tower pretty much the whole time. Kog'Maw went up against Nidalee, and the Kennen/Blitzcrank combo got matched up with Katarina and Dr. Mundo. Nidalee was the target of Irelia's first gank, resulting in first blood for her. However, she got herself and Kog'Maw killed in the process, as Dr. Mundo came around at about the same time. Irelia tried to gank my lane at one point to relieve the pressure of the 1 v 2, but it failed, luckily without getting either of us killed. Kennen and Blitzcrank did pretty well for themselves, killing Katarina and Dr. Mundo several times. However, at this point the enemy team had the upper hand, as Kog'Maw and I could not prevent the middle tower from falling first. Soon afterwards, Alistar Pulverized and Heabutted me out of position and got me killed, which resulted in the top tower falling.

Mid Game
Mid game was where we began to gain the upper hand. There was one teamfight in the middle of the map that ended well for us, I initiated with my ult to nab an easy kill, and then we mopped up the rest pretty effectively thanks to Kennen's AOE stuns. This allowed us to push down their middle tower, and then catch Ashe who had escaped from the previous fight. Minutes later their bottom tower was killed by a minion push. With the tower kill count even at 2, the map control was back in balance. We took the opportunity of the lull in the action to grab some global gold by killing dragon. They had it warded/Nidalee trapped, but they deemed it a mistake to engage us again. After this there was a lot of roaming around, trying to push down towers and such. We were able to catch Dr. Mundo out of position in our jungle several times, punishing him for it each time.

Late Game
A crucial teamfight occurred at our middle inner tower that shifted the momentum of the game largely in our favor. They were trying to take out our tower, but were quickly met by the full force of our team. I switched places with Ashe with my ult to get her killed and exhausted Nidalee to prevent her escape and ultimately kill her as well. My teammates did most of the work here though: Kog'Maw with his Living Artillery sniping, Kennen with his super stunning ability, and Irelia with her huge burst. Blitzcrank's knock-ups were also crucial to whittling down their tanks. This fight resulted in an ace, allowing us to take out their inner and inhibitor towers in the middle. We also ended up taking out the inhibitor while in their base. They soon respawned and came at us hard, forcing a retreat. Another teamfight happened in the middle where i ulted in (and got myself killed) and eventually got them to back off after taking out their squishies. This allowed us to take Baron and make the game-winning push. We took out the enemy Nexus at 42 minutes.

The postgame scoreboard is shown below:


What I learned:
- When played correctly, Alistar is quite good, as he has one of the few AOE stuns, and can throw anyone out of a fight
- Chasing Nidalee is almost as difficult as chasing Singed, exhaust or another heavy slow is mandatory to take her out
- The new Blitzcrank skin is way too awesome, I love it
- I still need to learn how to effectively use Urgot's ult, I got myself killed almost every time using it this game
- A Kog'Maw that sits far away from the fight and bombs it is a good Kog'Maw

My Score: 5/4/9
My Build: Manamune, Mercury Treads, Brutalizer, Banshee's Veil, B.F. Sword

Current ranked record: 4-1 (0 leaves)
ELO Rating: Unranked

I just got back to school after having spring break last week, so the games may begin to get a little further apart. Thanks for reading, comments and suggestions are always appreciated.

-Chickenmoo

No comments:

Post a Comment